Monday, May 28, 2012

Miracles Do Happen!

Warning- This is the longest post ever, but I want to remember absolutely everything about the day that changed our lives forever!~  So, here it goes!

How could I have waited almost four weeks to record every detail of the day that most certainly changed our lives?  I don't want to ever forget a detail of that day, and I can't tell you how many times I have replayed May 1st in my head!  I also can't tell you how many times I have sat down to blog, but I hear a little grunt or a cry, and it melts my heart, so the blog just sits and waits, yet another day.  As of right now though, (as of this second) all are sleeping soundly- including Daddy- so I have a second to just reminisce.

May 1st was just a normal bed rest day.  It was hot and sunny.  I was huge.  I hadn't felt well that Saturday, Sunday, or Monday, but that was expected.  I figured my nerves were getting the best of me.  I only had six more days of waiting to meet these miracles.  I had gotten up and taken a bath that morning and knew I had to be ready by noon to go to Memphis to Dr. BK.  Andy had agreed to let his mother take me to Memphis for our last appointment there to save his work time.  He was going to take off on Thursday, the day we were supposed to meet with Dr. Smith to discuss everything that was to happen that following Monday- D-Day...  Little did we know.  Mrs. Meg arrived right on time, and we both agreed that there was no need to bring my packed bags because we were both certain that we'd be back that afternoon. She got the backseat situated for us, pillows, blankets, Gatorade, and all.  I was pretty comfortable.  We ran by the bank to tell Andy bye, and we were off.  Our trip was as normal as possible.  I was still uncomfortable, but I could handle it...  We made it to Southaven, and I began having contractions- pretty regularly, and they HURT, but I didn't want to scare Mrs. Meg, so I didn't say anything at first.  I thought I'd just try to have conversation in between each one- like she wouldn't pick up on it.  She definitely did.  By the time we made it to Memphis, I was in major pain- pain that I had never expected to have since I was scheduled to have a c-section.  It still never crossed my mind that this would be the day that our babies made their debut.  When we got to the doctor's office, they took us back right off the bat, and the sonographer immediately recognized I was having painful contractions and quit doing the sonogram.  However, the sonogram did show us that Baby B had quit growing as quickly as A and C.  He had dropped from the 33rd percentile to the 13th percentile- which of course sent me into panic mode.  Babies A and C had also grown considerably and, according to their measurements were weighing in at over five pounds. The sonographer quickly went and got the nurse practitioner to check my cervix.   (Dr. BK was out at the hospital at the time).  When the nurse practitioner came in to check me, she informed me that she would be doing it "very roughly in hopes that my water would break so they could send me to the hospital..."  Yikes.  This was not supposed to be happening on this day.  I had six more days to freak out and get everything together.  My cervix was only 1 centimeter dilated, but my contractions were coming every 2 or so minutes, and they were painful, very painful.  The nurses decided to have us wait until Dr. BK returned from the hospital to make the call.  After what seemed like an eternity, he finally came to our room and informed us that he wanted us to drive back to Oxford and get monitored.  He'd already called Dr. Smith to tell him we were on our way.  At this point, I still had no idea of what was to come.  Dr. BK and his whole staff also gave me strict instructions to not eat or drink anything on the way home.  I should've known something was up, but in my mind, we were just going to the hospital get some drugs to stop these awful contractions.  I thought they may possibly move the date up a day or two.  I made my way around Dr. BK's office in between contractions, telling everyone goodbye since it would be my last appointment there.  I loved all of them dearly.  We finally made it back to the car, and I was HURTING!  I felt really sorry for Mrs. Meg having to drive us back.  I knew she was nervous.  We finally made it out of Memphis, and I started having contractions, lasting 30 seconds- 1 minute, a minute or less apart.  Mrs. Meg put the pedal to the metal and flew.  I remember calling Andy and Mama to tell them we were on the way to the hospital.  I had told Mama to pack a bag but just wait to do anything until I called her to let her know that they had stopped the contractions.  Ha.  Little did I know.  I remember seeing the Lafayette County sign and being so very thankful to almost be to the hospital.  I knew relief was in sight!  I remember my cell phone ringing and "RESTRICTED" showed up on the caller ID.  At this point, I wanted to throw my phone because I was in such pain, so why in the world would a restricted number be calling me?  I didn't have time for that, so it rang and rang and went to voicemail.  (Little did I know, this was Dr. Smith calling me to tell me he was on the way to the hospital to meet us and the babies.  Dr. BK had called Dr. Smith, who was on a tractor on his farm, covered in mud at the time).  Looking back, I am so very thankful I didn't answer that phone because I would have gone postal and freaked out if I had known what was about to happen!  I had called Andy to tell him to go on and come to the hospital as soon as he got off since we'd be getting to the hospital around 5.  Mrs. Meg and I pulled up to the Oxford Emergency Room, and apparently, on May 1st at 5:00 p.m., that was the place to be.  The parking lot was full, so she pulled up to the drop off and got a wheel chair for me.  Pain was rampant.  A total and complete stranger came out and met us and offered to hold my chair while I waited on Mrs. Meg to park the car.  As she held the chair so it wouldn't roll off, she told me about her grandmother who was getting a CT scan.  I remember telling her I'd pray for her in between contractions.  Right about that time, I could see Andy's car about to turn into the hospital.  My nerves then became a tad bit better... until I saw him go straight.  What was he doing?  And, then another contraction hit me like a ton of bricks, so I couldn't worry about where he was parking.  Mrs. Meg came and met me and wheeled me into the ER waiting room, where apparently a woman pregnant with triplets in labor is a sight to see.  All eyes were on this whale.  We finally finished filling out paperwork and waited to be admitted, which took forever.  I was still in more pain than I ever thought possible, so I decided to call Andy and check on that parking spot.... Where was he?  Ha...  He had decided to run home to check on the grass- because it may need cutting seriously/- and to grab our bags.  All I could do was just sit and breathe in between contractions.  Finally, after some confusion with the admissions people, the head Labor and Delivery nurse, Pauline, came down to get us, surgery hat and all.   In my mind, I thought, awe~ she's been delivering babies.  It NEVER crossed my mind that she was dressed out to deliver my babies.  By this time, Andy had decided that the yard could wait, and he'd made it back to the hospital.  Andy quickly asked her if we'd be having babies in the next two or so days, and her exact response was, "honey, we'll be having babies in two hours or less!"  WOWWWWW!  I think at this moment, all of our heads went spinning.  Thankfully, Dr. BK hadn't told me he'd called Dr. Smith to tell him to go on with delivery.  Thankfully, I hadn't answered Dr. Smith's phone call.  Thankfully, the Lord was in control, as He had been from the very beginning, and thankfully, He gave me a peace that passed all understanding.  Before we could get to the elevator, Andy had run back to his car to "get his white polo shirt because he didn't want to wear a pink or blue one to show favortism."  Ha!  I was in so much pain that I didn't know what my name was, but at the same time, all I could think was, this is it!  This is what we had waited on since we got married- this was what I had waited on since I was old enough to play with dolls, and now, three miracles were about to be born.  By the time we had made it up to the 4th floor, everything was ready and waiting on us.  The nurses and doctors were like ants everywhere.  Everywhere you turned, there was another person in blue scrubs- holding a cord or a needle or a chart.  It was like an out of body experience.  They told me to go to the bathroom change into my gown, and it was the last moment I  had with these sweet miracles inside of me.  It was bittersweet.  I remember begging one of them to kick, just so I could feel that amazing feeling, and they did.  I'll never forget it.  I felt like as soon as I opened that bathroom door, my life as I knew it would never be the same.  It would be a billion times better, but I was still scared- scared of the unknowns- and scared for my babies.  I prayed for them and for a safe delivery, and then, it was time.  And, when I opened the door, I was whisked to the bed, hooked up to every monitor known to man, stuck with several IV's, and finally given some meds to minimize the pain as much as possible.  Andy and I took our last picture as a family of 2, and with that flash, they began to wheel me to the Operating Room, where our precious miracles would enter this world.  After they did the spinal, all of my pain was minimized.  I felt as if I could conquer the world, thanks to modern medicine.  Andy had gotten dressed out, and they let him back, and the real fun began.  It was shift change, and there were probably around 20 people- 2 OBGYN'S, 3 pediatricians, an anesthesiologist, and several nurses and surgical techs.  Since it was shift change, everyone on the early shift wanted to stay to see them be born, and everyone coming in wanted to be in there as well.  The most wonderful noises I have ever heard began at 7:13 p.m. and lasted through 7:15 p.m. as each baby screamed when they were pulled out.  Posey was first- and screaming- and absolutely beautiful.  I had never loved something so much.  Miles was next, and his eyes met mine and instantly, we were in love.  Mark was last, and it took a tad bit longer to get him out because he was breech- again, for the fourth time in my life, it was love at first sight.  My heart belongs to them.  I will do anything for them, as will Andy.  Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

At 7:13, 7:14, and 7:15 p.m., Posey Ingram Miller (4 pounds, 14 ounces), Andrew Miles Miller (4 pounds, 11 ounces) and Mark Steinriede Miller (5 pounds, 3 ounces) were born, and our lives were changed forever.  


Each baby is absolutely perfect, and it is unbelievable how their little personalities are developing- Posey is sweet and laid back as of now.  She is so much fun to dress.  We have dress up sessions every day.  Miles is also sweet.  He is our little man- he looks like a little man in a baby's body.  Mark is our high maintenance child.  He loves to eat, and he literally will be eating steak for dinner in about a month.  He loves his food.  Posey IS Andy.  Miles looks like my nephew, Will, and Mark is a good mixture.  In all, though, they all kinda look alike.  They're all perfect, and life is wonderful.  Sure, we have had our fair share of rough days, but they are perfectly rough.  Thirty diapers or more a day, 24 bottles, and countless outfits- this is life, and it is ours- and it has never been so full or fabulous.  It is SOO much fun, and God has been beyond gracious to us.  All glory is owed to Him!

Lastly, thank you all so very much for your prayers.  If you don't believe in miracles, these sweet babies are just that... miracles.  We could not have made it this far without your prayers or the support of friends and family.  They truly were fearfully and wonderfully made...  Our little miracles- God's little miracles...


Psalm 139:13-16~  "For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you,when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them."


Love, 
Maggie, Andy, Posey, Miles, and Mark Miller




And just a few pics...


Last pic as a family of 2!

Love at first sight...

Miracles...

Proud Daddy with his boys...

Daddy and his girl...  He is WRAPPED!!!

Family of 5!!!

Best doctor in the world...  Dr. Smith.

Miles, Posey, & Mark Miller

1 comment:

  1. I picked a perfect morning to check your blog!! Love love love the recap. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete